The Bethesda Big Train team playing in the summer wooden bat Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League is seeking high school, college and graduate school students to serve as team beat writers and social media managers for the 2021 summer season. Individuals should have a strong knowledge of baseball and experience in both writing about sports and managing social media channels in a professional setting. Ideal candidates are strong writers who can accurately articulate baseball game action and feel comfortable interviewing strangers. Candidates should have an extensive knowledge of social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok, and should be able to apply new trends and techniques to formulate a social media strategy for the Big Train.
Three interns will be hired for this position and will rotate between the following roles on a nightly basis: (1) beat reporter who writes a recap story of that night’s game; (2) Twitter manager in charge of posting live scoring updates each inning; and (3) social media manager in charge of updating our Instagram, Facebook and TikTok channels and engaging with fans on all of our online platforms. Candidates should be comfortable performing all three duties as well as writing feature stories to supplement our online game content.
Interning with Big Train offers educational and networking opportunities, and course credit is available for college students. This opportunity is unpaid, but a small stipend will be offered. ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian has granted permission to describe this position as a “Tim Kurkjian Sports Journalism Fellow.” The internship will run from on or about May 20, 2021 through August 6, 2021.
This is UNPAID. Students are strongly advised to consult with academic faculty to determine if this meets eligibility standards for academic credit
- College or high school student
- Ability to work night and weekend events
- Ability to travel to away games (all are within a one-hour drive)
- Sports writing experience
- Experience and knowledge of trends across multiple social media platforms
- Graphic design experience
- Strong knowledge of baseball rules and terminology
- Experience working under tight deadlines
- Journalism experience (student newspaper, online content, etc.) preferred
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Write feature stories game previews and recaps for Big Train website
- Conduct interviews with coaches, players and staff and incorporate quotes into articles
- Prior to games, monitor social media feeds and post updates as directed
- During games, live tweet scoring updates and post on other social media channels as necessary
- Design simple graphics to accompany social media posts
- Brainstorm and implement social media marketing strategies to expand Big Train’s audience
- Attend all Big Train home games and most away games
- Attend and assist in the execution of team events and promotions in the community
- Assist full-time Big Train staff with set-up and post-game procedures and any other duties as assigned