The Bethesda Big Train team playing in the summer wooden bat Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League is seeking college or graduate school students with play-by-play or color commentary experience to serve as our on-air broadcasters for the 2021 summer season. Individuals should have a strong knowledge of baseball and the ability to accurately articulate game action to fans on an audio or video broadcast. Ideal candidates will be comfortable hosting and conducting on-camera interviews for pre-game and post-game video content.
Interning with Big Train offers educational and networking opportunities, and course credit is available for college students. This opportunity is unpaid, but a small stipend will be offered. ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian has granted permission to describe this position as a “Tim Kurkjian Sports Journalism Fellow.” The internship will run from on or about May 20, 2021 through August 6, 2021.
- College student
- Ability to work night and weekend events
- Ability to travel to away games (all are within a one-hour drive)
- On-air experience
- Strong knowledge of baseball rules and terminology
- Background in communications or journalism preferred
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Set up broadcast equipment before the game and conduct pre-game interviews with coaches and players
- Provide play-by-play and color commentary for all Big Train home and away games
- Work in tandem with other broadcast intern, splitting play-by-play and color commentary duties and other on-air and on-camera opportunities
- Conduct research on rosters and players (both Big Train and opponents) prior to each game
- Attend and assist in the execution of team events and promotions in the community
- Assist full-time Big Train staff with set-up and post-game procedures and any other duties as assigned
Students should consult with academic faculty to determine if this unpaid experience will earn credit.