Use your fundraising and organizational skills to support artists and enrich our community with arts and culture! Bemis Center seeks a Development Assistant to work directly with the Development Director and Executive Director to help achieve Bemis Center’s immediate and long-term fundraising goals and provide administrative support. Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Assistant primarily contributes to engagement strategies and outreach to individual funders, Board members, and new prospects through Bemis membership, various donation campaigns, and special events, including two annual large-scale fundraisers and smaller cultivation events.
This is an opportunity to join an energetic and collegial staff at one of Omaha’s most unique arts organizations. Applicants of all races, genders, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all other characteristics that make us different are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates share our values of creativity, trust, courage, diversity, tolerance, and the open exchange of ideas and worldviews.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Gift Processing and Data Management – Process income in Bemis Center’s eTapestry database and auction database systems, providing regular and accurate recordings of funder data in donor databases and paper files; create reports and mailing lists as required
- Solicitation Campaigns – In coordination with the Development Director and Communications department, design and execute upon membership and donation solicitations, including coordination of benefits and recognition
- Correspondence and Acknowledgements – Write and review all development-related external correspondence including website/social media content prior to dissemination; drafting of timely gift acknowledgment letters to individual funders and other funder correspondence as required
- Event Management – Assist in the planning and coordination of large scale fundraisers and smaller cultivation events
- General Administrative Support – Provide general administrative support for the Development Department and Executive Director, including meeting coordination and assisting with the preparation of agendas, reports, and other donor communications; assist the Development Director in management of the annual budget for the Development department, including negotiating contracts with related vendors
- Donor Stewardship – Assist in the development of engagement strategies and outreach to funders and prospects, including relationship-building with Bemis Board Members and other funders
- 2–4 years experience as a development or administrative professional, preferably in the context of a small-to-medium-size arts organization or other nonprofit organization
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Experience with e-Tapestry or other donor database preferred
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of contemporary art is desired
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, ability to take initiative, multi-task, meet deadlines, and apply impeccable attention to detail
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to act with excellent judgment and diplomacy and maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization
- Ability to assist with special events outside of regular business hours on occasion
- Understand and promote Bemis Center’s mission in a clear, spirited manner
- A successful reference check
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits package provided, including medical, paid holidays, and paid time off.
How to Apply / ContactBemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
For immediate consideration, please submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Assistant” in the subject line:
- a one-page cover letter
- a brief writing sample
- the contact information for three professional references