As a Bartlett & West intern you’ll work in a stimulating and collaborative environment where you’ll gain practical experience and exposure to diverse perspectives. You will also be introduced to the Purpose & Core Values that drive the employee owners each day along with the opportunity to understand the benefits of an employee-owned firm.
Interns will be encouraged to network with other employee owners and to build relationships across disciplines as well as with other interns and co-ops. We will provide organized social and networking opportunities throughout the summer where you will have the opportunity to connect with other graduates that have recently joined Bartlett & West as well as meet with our senior leadership team.
This postion would focus in transportation.
As an Engineer Intern you may have the opportunity to work in the following areas:
- Environmental (water/wastewater)
- Civil Site Design
- Construction Administration and Observation
- Landscape Architecture
Project experiences may include:
- On-the-job training for a variety of engineering activities
- Operating in a learning capacity, gaining knowledge of general processes and procedures
- Basic drafting skills and techniques.
- Working with engineer or higher level technician in full plan development.
- Performing a variety of routine tasks that provide experience and familiarity with engineering staff, methods, practices and programs.
- Learning on the job about miscellaneous survey activities and the operation GPS and conventional survey equipment.
- Operating in a learning capacity, gaining knowledge of general construction observation processes and procedures and field tests, such as materials testing, through on-the-job training.
- Exposure working with a wide range of internal staff such as Landscape Architects, Engineers, Field Surveyors and Design Technicians to external staff such as architects, contractors, utility/facility personnel and/or public clients.
- Work on a full range of assignments in various project phases.
- In-office planning and design work and out of office field investigations and site visits.
- Compile data and perform other basic engineering design calculations.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership, collaboration, communication and decision-making skills
- Strong motivation toward accomplishing a common goal
- Effective communication skills
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership
- Team oriented and ability to get along with others
- Ability and aptitude to interpret and understand plans and specifications
- Effective communication skills
- Good math skills (ability to: add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Knowledge in MS Office Suite and technical software
- Ability to pass safety classes and exhibit safety oriented mentality
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge and/or experience in survey software/CAD software and Trimble Business Center
- Ability to embrace new technologies and processes
- Basic knowledge of general engineering design practices or guidelines
Enrollment in a Technical School or currently enrolled student majoring in an engineering discipline and (1) one year completed in a Bachelor’s Degree program. Civil engineering majors preferred.
0-6 months experience. Experience in MS Office Suite required. Experience or exposure with Computer Aided Design (CAD) and/or Civil 3D software preferred.
Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion, which usually would consist of field work on construction projects, visiting other company locations, attending business meetings. Engineer Intern travels in company vehicle or personal vehicle. Minimum travel is 10% of the time depending on projects. Valid driver’s license with good driving record required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
An offer is contingent upon successfully passing the pre-employment drug screen. Drug screen will need to complete within 48 hours of being contacted.
Nearly all positions at Bartlett & West can require employee-owners to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the course of their duties. Accordingly, all employees may be required to have acceptable driving records and to provide an authorization to the Company to periodically obtain MVR reports.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual