We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join the Diagnostic Lab (at the Bartlett Tree Research Laboratory in Charlotte, NC) for three to six months (May-October) 2021! Six-month availability is preferred. The intern will assist with unpacking and checking in samples, processing samples for testing (serological and molecular), and collecting and organizing data. A strong understanding of scientific principles and lab techniques is required. The intern will learn about arboriculture, plant problem diagnosis, the use of various diagnostic testing methods, working within a team, and much more during this internship.
- Reports for duty at the laboratory on time daily
- Learns, understands, and adheres to all lab safety rules and company safety policies
- Opens, sorts, and logs samples received by mail daily
- Assists with washing and visual analysis of root samples
- Prepares various plant tissue samples for ELISA, DNA extraction, and PCR testing
- Makes and pours various types of culture media for the lab
- Autoclaves plant and culture waste materials
- Washes dishes and performs other lab cleaning tasks
- Provides a weekly report of activities to lab manager
- A short research project may be available based on interest/experience
- Interest in photography is a plus
- Communication and organizational skills are critical
- Have earned or are working toward a Bachelor of Science degree in plant science, arboriculture, forestry, or a related discipline
*Intern must secure own housing in the area.
The F. A. Bartlett Tree Expert Company is an Equal Opportunity and E-Verify Employer.