Avidyne Corporation is a market-leader in the design and manufacture of advanced-capability avionics systems for general aviation aircraft. The company has set a new standard in pilot-friendly, easy-to-use products, with its full line of communication, navigation, flight displays, surveillance, and flight control systems. Avidyne is headquartered in Melbourne, FL, with facilities in Concord, MA and Westerville, OH.
The Mechanical Engineer is primarily responsible for the mechanical packaging of electrical systems and the design of human interfaces for aviation multifunction display products. Efforts include enclosure design for structural, thermal, EMI, humidity, vibration and other environmental considerations, printed circuit board mechanical design, design verification, prototype build, environmental test, certification support, factory transition and life cycle support. Must interact well with, electrical engineers, system engineers, software engineers, production management and certification teams to reach all established goals of the design. Skills in the areas of design for manufacturability, design to cost, design for assembly and design for test in small to medium volumes are considered critical. Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to work in small teams are also required.
Working knowledge of Solid Works mechanical CAD system is highly desirable, but any modern 3D solid modeling experience is acceptable and will be considered.
- Must possess knowledge of principles and techniques commonly used in product development, perform assignments requiring the use and application of moderate to advanced mechanical engineering principles and techniques and be capable of performing mechanical design and analysis to meet system requirements.
- Will be required to plan and manage mechanical activities within project scope, budget and schedule constraints.
- Responsible for designing complex electronics sub-assemblies.
- Design and integration of high-performance display systems and user interfaces for next generation integrated glass cockpits.
- Knowledge in the design and fabrication of sheet metal, machined, cast and injected molded components.
- Experience with rapid prototyping, design verification testing, design for manufacturability (DFM), and thermal analysis and management required.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams and with outside suppliers.
- Proficient in the use of 3D modeling software, (SolidWorks preferred).
- 610-00303-008 Rev: 00, Date: Jan 2019
- Environmental testing to DO-160 standards.
- New product launch
- Product lifecycle support
- Responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electronic devices or systems.
- Performs environmental qualification test in compliance with DO-160.
- Prepares design specifications, prints, analysis and recommendations for presentation and approval.
- Analyzes mechanical requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Investigates solutions to product or process problems.
- Consolidates results of mechanical design elements for assigned projects.
- Conducts investigations involving the origination or modification of material, component or process specifications or requirements.
- Performs product development activities including Solid Works layout and interpretation/implementation of MRD/PRD specifications and requirements.
- Translate requirements into a product or system that is cost effective, straightforward to manufacture, simple to test and easy to repair.
Skills and Core Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable engineering or science field with two or more years of related experience.
- Experience designing products in the following fields is considered relevant experience: aviation, aerospace, military, automotive, telecommunications, medical, etc.
- Working knowledge of a modern 3D solid modeling system (Solid Works Preferred).
- Above average communications skills with an emphasis on design presentation and design review.
- Experience defining and running mechanical, thermal and flow simulations using FEA.
- Prototype development and fabrication using mill, lathe, drill press and 3D printer.
- Self-starter able to effectively estimate and track own schedule.
- Mechanical design experience including complex molded plastic parts.
- Familiarity with embedded electronics design and printed circuit board manufacture.
- Be able to delegate assignments to designers and technicians.
- Experience in aircraft wiring layout and routing.
- Fabrication and installation drawings for avionics equipment relative to waterline, and frame station.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
Avidyne provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, genetic information, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, family care status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or with respect to any other protected class.