Chinosity.com is an online media project developed by the China Learning Initiatives, Center for Global Education at the Asia Society. Our brand delivers news on Chinese entertainment, language, and modern cultural phenomenon in English to a global audience. Our global, cross-platform network includes our site, YouTube channel and Instagram account, as well as other digital platforms. Our news and entertainment serve the post 90s and 00s generation- an engaged, global audience that connects with culture and entertainment through digital platforms.
About the position:
The Chinosity writing staff is involved in choosing various topics for content pieces for the Chinosity website. As a writer, you are responsible for biweekly assignments and attending the biweekly pitch meetings.
This position is a remote position. We require a minimum 1-year commitment, from Dec 2020 – Dec 2021. Applicants do not need prior news writing experience to apply for this job. Applicants must be actively learning Chinese and/or living in China
What you will do:
- Pitching ideas related to your specific content category.
- Participate in biweekly writer meetings.
- Writing a minimum of two English content pieces every month.
The ideal candidate:
- Able to conduct thorough research on things they are unfamiliar with
- Able to write clearly and concisely in English
- Have a passion for writing and learning about Chinese and China
- Capable of keeping up with deadlines
- Have curiosity about the world and see things in non-binary ways
*Candidate who has knowledge of Mandarin, Cantonese, or other Chinese languages is a plus
*Candidate who has experience in East Asian studies, Chinese culture and modern China is a plus.
Chinosity is a young platform, we provide you freedom and space for your creativity. We can offer you a more extensive resume, valuable digital newsroom knowledge and networking opportunities.
Please prepare the following documents and send to Chinosity@gmail.com before 11:59 pm (EST) 11/29/2020.
- Your resume or CV
- One brief writing sample (within 500 words) about any recent non-political news on China that interests you the most. Please explain why you are interested in that piece of news.
- One writing sample from your work previously.