Position ID: NS202101-P0
Position and Grade: Internship – Nuclear Security Interfaces and Programme Support
Director’s Office Section
Division of Nuclear Security
Department of Nuclear Safety and Security
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Duration of Appointment/Start: 1 year, July/August 2021
To gain knowledge and training on the IAEA Nuclear Security Programme, in particular in the areas of coordination, programming, knowledge management and partnership building.
Tasks / Key Results Expected
- Assist Director’s Office of the Division of Nuclear Security (NSNS) on a board range of matters that typically arise in the administration of an international organization.
- Conduct general and in-depth research and prepare initial drafts of analyses and reports on various areas of work of NSNS
- Liaison for cross-Departmental coordination, including supporting coordination of Agency activities and efforts
- Gain an overall understanding of the IAEA Nuclear Security Programme, including the range and impact of activities carried out with the programme.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to cooperate effectively across organizational boundaries and the ability to establish effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines.
- Developed organizational abilities and a self-starter.
- Understanding of the IAEA Nuclear Security Series and IAEA Safety Standards, their hierarchy, structure and application (an asset).
- Strong IT capabilities.
- Desktop publishing and database management skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Science, Engineering, Nuclear Security or International Relations or related discipline.
- Experience in finalizing publication of technical reports or guidelines, manuals, publications or other documents.
- Experience with desktop publishing and database management, including strong experience working with Microsoft Office 2016 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Understanding of nuclear security principles and interface with nuclear safety and other related issues.
- Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years of age and have completed at least three years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a first degree.
- Candidates may apply up to one year after the completion of a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree.
- Candidates must not have previously participated in the IAEA’s internship programme.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in any other IAEA official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) an asset.
- Candidates must attach two signed letters of recommendation to their application.