Are you passionate about video games? Want to create software that makes a difference? At the Virtual Heroes Division of Applied Research Associates, our goal is to improve your safety, security, and way of life. Join us!
We’re looking for dedicated, hard-working programmers with a passion for using game technology to develop state-of-the-art simulation, training, and virtual world applications. As a Serious Games Programmer you will be a key member of a team that is solving real-world problems for customers in the military, medical, commercial, and intelligence industries. Ideal candidates will have broad programming experience on one or more published/deployed projects. You must be able to serve multiple projects simultaneously with agility, poise, and focus. The job location is our well-equipped offices in the Research Triangle in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Our games are award-winning, reflecting the creativity, dedication, and vision of every member of our studio. You can be part of our team!
Why Work For Us?
- The opportunity to make a real impact. Virtual Heroes has been making quality serious games for over fifteen years. Everyone who works here is important, from new faces to those who have worked here since the beginning. Your contribution matters—you won’t be just a number!
- Flexible, reasonable hours. We encourage all employees to have a good work/life balance. We do not believe in burning you out! We invest in our people and want you to be happy with us for the long-haul.
- Competitive salaries and outstanding benefits. We provide generous retirement contributions and company stock over and above salary; medical, dental, and vision coverage; company-paid life and long-term disability insurance; and annual performance bonuses.
Intermediate Game Programmer Requirements:
- Candidates selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science, Game Development, or a similar discipline, plus at least 5 years of related work experience. Equivalent professional experience (at least 11 years) will be considered for talented candidates without a degree.
- At least 2 years of professional experience with Unreal Engine 4 C++ programming and Blueprints.
- C++ experience and demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices.
Preference to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience developing multiplayer game/training applications.
- Experience with mobile platform development (iOS, Android).
- Experience with databases (MySQL, sqlite, spatialite) or xAPI LMS integration
- Experience with VR development
At Virtual Heroes, we leverage simulation and digital-games-based paradigms to create applications that teach critical skills, simulate complicated, expensive, or inaccessible facilities, and provide education and training across a significantly-broad content domain. As a division of Applied Research Associates (ARA), we work with scientists and engineers of many disciplines and diverse backgrounds to enhance the creativity and innovation of the mission-critical solutions we provide to our customers, while leveraging all the scientific capabilities our companies’ employees bring to the table.
ARA is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems. Founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979, ARA currently employs over 1200 1400 professionals and is rapidly growing. Our culture supports our exceptional staff of valued employees and encourages professional growth through continued higher education, participation and publication at technical conferences, and membership in professional organizations. As an ARA employee you are encouraged to generate new ideas and bring those ideas to life. ARA offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including stock ownership, medical and dental coverage, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) profit-sharing plan, and annual bonuses. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at http://careers.ara.com.