Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking a versatile backend software engineer for a full-time permanent position at the Southeast Division in Raleigh, NC. We are recruiting at the senior level for candidates with diverse skills and interest in developing commercial products and contributing to engineering and research. The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplined collaborative team within the Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Directorate building tools for defense and intelligence applications and growing our commercial product portfolio.
This new position targets individuals desiring challenging technical work within a team environment and it provides an excellent growth opportunity for candidates interested in applied research and end-to-end concept development. Job responsibilities include: (1) designing, deploying, and maintaining the backend technology stack across different applications and systems; (2) defining technical requirements based on design artifacts such as user stories; (3) deploying to cloud based providers such as AWS; and (4) automating system testing/monitoring. Experience with native mobile development (e.g. iOS/Android) and flexibility to operate as a full stack developer depending on project needs is preferred. Candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit who are seeking opportunities for personal and professional growth in a stable environment are strongly encouraged to apply.
Backend Sr. Software Engineer Initial Work Areas:
- Maintain existing technology stack for ARA’s commercial smartphone app, hosted on AWS EC2 and utilizing a .NET back end
- Optimize current architecture and find improvements to scale horizontally for thousands of users
- Contribute to dynamic team researching and developing defense and IC related technologies serving Government programs and commercial products
Backend Software Engineer Required Experience & Skills:
- Eligibility to apply for and hold a US security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment).
- BS in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical field
- Minimum 7 years of relevant software development experience
- Experience architecting or maintaining a full server-side technology stack, building real-time, scalable web applications, and/or deploying applications within cloud computing providers such as AWS or Azure
- Proficiency designing relational databases (SQL)
Backend Software Engineer Preferred Experience & Skills:
Above all, we value passion, a desire to learn, and teamwork. We are confident that if you possess the right attitude, work ethic, and skill set that you could succeed in the role. In addition to the experience and skills above, if you have any of the following you will be able to accelerate your effectiveness and impact.
- Experience with native mobile app development (either Android or iOS)
- Experience developing/maintaining custom web APIs with REST, Websockets, SocketIO, or SignalR
- Experience deploying with Elastic Beanstalk
- Experience developing Java server applications using Spring or Spring Root
- Existing or prior US security clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) calculator!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), benefits package, relocation opportunities, and a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.