On the “Amigos Academy” Education Team, Interns will assist teachers in all aspects of the classroom to support both the teacher and students. Interns will be expected to model the care and generosity teachers and educators have for each of their students, and interns will receive an immersive experience in a classroom with the ability to positively impact the lives of many. The Amigos Academy is a private preschool and primary school focusing on elite education in core classes and extracurricular activities.
- Build relationships within the Amigos Academy and in La Chuscada
- Teach in small groups and pull-out groups for remedial and advanced students
- Prepare class materials for all core classes and extracurricular activities.
- Assist Amigos academy teachers in grading
- English as a Foreign Language learner support
- Prepare outdoor activities for Amigos Academy students
- Accompany Amigos Academy students on field trips
Life In Nicaragua:
You will have the time of your life! Each Amigos intern will focus on two primary objectives: Cultural Integration and Connection. True life transformation happens when we can invest in both Amigos and local Nicaraguan communities. You’ll be embraced into the Amigos family at work, but we want to make sure that you’re flourishing outside of work as well. So, that’s exactly why your experience will be tailored to plug you directly into both the Amigos and Nicaraguan community life. The following opportunities are our invitation into these two big goals:
- Homestay Program:
Amigos provides housing for each intern through our Homestay program. Interns will be paired with other members of the Intern team and connected with a family where they will share a room and a bathroom. Each Homestay will provide the opportunity to integrate fully while sharing a living space, meals, excursions and language immersion.
- Language School:
Amigos partners with Casa Xalteva in Granada, Nicaragua where Interns will spend one week in small group language classes, guided excursions, and will be connected with Granada based Homestays.
Interns will be expected to:
- Cover the costs of airfare, $350 Language School Fee, and any additional spending money (some weekend meals and anything else you might want to buy when you’re in Nicaragua)
- Bilingual: English / Spanish Preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of college completed
- Enrollment in an educational program
- Experience within a classroom
- Willingness to learn new teaching strategies
- Creativity in supporting the needs of both the head teachers and students
- Spiritual & emotional maturity
- Leadership Experience
- Adaptability – must be able to work in a fluid environment
- Ability to connect with a variety of people utilizing strong relational skills
Location: Chinandega, Nicaragua
Position: Volunteer / 480-hour position