PLEASE DIRECT YOUR APPLICATION TO THE EXTERNAL LINK TO APPLY.
The Multicultural Advertising Intern Program is a fellowship opportunity for diverse college juniors, college seniors, graduate students, and portfolio school students: MAIP. Since 1973, MAIP, now in its 47th year, provides diverse students with equitable access to the advertising and marketing industry.
MAIP fellows are hand selected by industry professionals to begin their careers in advertising. Once selected, fellows engage in a 22-week, nation-wide fellowship that is both virtual and in-agency. In addition to the fellowship, fellows receive professional development opportunities through virtual spring training, one-on-one coaching, MAIP labs and various opportunities to network with MAIP alumni and industry leaders. The goal is to provide fellows the space and opportunity to build a foundation for their careers.
The MAIP fellowship culminates in a week-long celebration in New York City where fellows across the country are united to attend The Face of Talent. Simultaneously, the MAIP fellowship offers advertising agencies the opportunity to access top talent and strengthens the 4A’s efforts to enhance and sustain diversity within the industry.
This past summer, we transitioned to the MAIP Virtual Engagement Program in response to COVID-19. MAIP fellows participated in a 12-week virtual engagement program where they had the opportunity to connect with 90+ participating agencies/industry partners through transferable skill trainings, discipline-specific trainings, and more. Fellows also participated in summer projects and the 4A’s Foundation provided cash prizes to the top 2 teams.
Whether it’s virtual or in-person, we are excited to be opening applications for MAIP 2021. Applications are due on October 31, 2020 (11:59pm ET). Fellows will have a paid summer internship (June – August 2021) in the advertising industry coupled with the amazing experience we provide them as a MAIP fellow. The goal is to continue providing fellows the space and opportunity to build a foundation for their careers. Applicants must available for the full fellowship period (June – August, and Fellows selected in NYC must be available at the end of May).
Note: Our fellows’ safety is our number one priority. During a typical MAIP summer, fellows fly out to their host city (ie. New York, Atlanta, etc) for their summer internship. The MAIP 2021 fellowship may take place virtually or in person, depending on COVID-19 updates. Should the fellowship be in-person, MAIP fellows requesting travel/housing assistance will be responsible for paying $1,260* to the 4A’s toward summer housing and transportation cost (subject to change). This will cover flights and housing for the summer, including The Face of Talent in New York City. Applicants will receive updates if selected.
The deadline to apply to MAIP 2021 is October 31, 2020 (11:59pm ET). Students may apply here: www.aaaa.org/event/2021-maip-student-application/. Students may continue to edit their application until the deadline provided.
TO APPLY FOR THE FELLOWSHIP, YOU MUST:
- Be Asian/Asian American, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latinx, Black/African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Multiracial or Multiethnic (e.g. Hispanic and Black);
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States (visas are not accepted);
- Currently a college junior, senior, or graduate student at any accredited, degree-granting college or university, or a student attending an established portfolio school;
- Be available for the full fellowship period (June – August, and Fellows selected in NYC must be available at the end of May).
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0
THE MAIP APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE. THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS
MUST BE INCLUDED IN YOUR APPLICATION:
- Responses to essay questions
- Response to creative assignment, if applicable
- Video Response
- Two separate letters of recommendation (signed PDF preferred) || We strongly recommend that you reach out to your references as soon as possible.
- Portfolio of work for creative applicants* (i.e., Those applying for Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, and/or UX/UI)
- A current unofficial school transcript or degree audit report
- A non-refundable application fee ($25.00) payable through 4A’s website
- Proof of permanent residency if not a U.S Citizen
*Remember: If you change your website url, you must update it in the application.
Join us at one of our info sessions for an overview about the program and more details about the application process! Dates and times, here.