In this position, you will have the opportunity to work and innovate in a fast-paced, cohesive, and collaborative environment through designing ubiquitous FTTP fiber optic networks to serve every home and business in a community. Your existing problem solving, communication, and organizational skills will grow through progressively challenging engineering design opportunities.
Your growth will be supported by our strong corporate culture based on being Local, Honest, Exceptional, and Hassle-free. This is an entry-level position that requires basic knowledge of civil or electrical engineering and will be working under the guidance of registered professional engineers. We are seeking someone to start this semester (Fall 2020) working part-time (15-20 hours/week)
– Assist with on-going project plan development and updates
– Coordinate production tracking effort against the baseline project plan – Review and design requests for engineering services to create efficient cost-effective solutions that meet or exceed customer expectations
– Review and design telecom structures and foundations
– Perform Pole loading structural analysis and make recommendations around design solutions
– Assist with Federal, State, local, and railroad permitting of aerial and underground fiber optic facilities.
– Create design prints through the use of GIS information and auto design programs
– Generate required engineering reports and project BOMs
– Assist with GIS importing, grooming, and use modeling software to create fiber optic designs for entire communities.
– Participate in regular project update meetings
– Provide regular status reports & highlight jeopardies
– Third or Fourth year student in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or Electrical Engineering is desired.
– Major required in a field appropriate to the intern opening
Experience in fiber design or GIS systems is preferred. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment is required.
– Smart Sheets project management software, cloud/browser based
– 3-GIS fiber design software (based on ESRI)
– Fiber Plan It software
– FOND software
– Embedded with the design and construction management teams overseeing fast moving FTTP projects
– Experience the project’s impact from the perspectives of the service provider, incumbents, and the municipality
– Work directly with cutting edge design and tracking tools.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
– Demonstrate a focus on accuracy and high attention to detail
– Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment
– Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively
– Self-motivated, able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests as well as collaborating with others to utilize resources and knowledge in identifying high quality solutions
– Proficient with computer software programs, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Corporate Recruiting.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.