The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship supports Pell-eligible undergraduate students with substantial financial assistance (up to $5,000) to study or intern abroad, plus an additional $3,000 for the study of a Critical Need Language.
At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Gilman Scholarship applicants are supported by a partnership between the UNL Office of Global Experiences and the Office of Undergraduate Research & Fellowships.
Gilman Scholarship Eligibility:
- You are a U.S. citizen, an undergraduate student, and a Pell Grant recipient.
- You are applying or have applied to a credit-bearing study abroad or internship abroad program in a single country.
- You are planning to study in a country with an overall U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2 (see more detail here).
- You have not previously received (and accepted) the Gilman Scholarship.
Current Cycle (October 2023 deadline): For Study Abroad in Spring 2024, Summer 2024, Fall 2024, and Academic Year 2024-25.
- Watch the recorded Gilman information session or attend a live information session to learn more about the scholarship and to brainstorm with UNL experts.
- Meet with an Education Abroad Coordinator to discuss your program options. Selecting the RIGHT program that connects to your academic and career interests is key.
- Register your intent to apply for the Gilman on MyWorld.
- Review Gilman Essay Tip Sheet & Template in MyWorld.
- Start your Gilman Scholarship application.
- (Recommended): Attend the writing workshop or writing lab events listed below to get feedback and refine your essays. If additional essay feedback is needed, visit Open Office Hours listed below, or make an appointment with an Education Abroad coordinator, a Fellowships advisor, or the Writing Center.
Check back in early September 2023 to see our Information Session, Writing Workshop, and Drop-in Hours offerings! We look forward to meeting you in Fall term.
- Complete the official Gilman Scholarship online application by Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
- Next application cycle: March 2024
Global Experiences: Renae Ninneman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fellowships: Darby Ableman (email@example.com) or Courtney Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Plan your Study Abroad Experience! Please visit Global Experiences:
Louise Pound Hall, Suite 130
512 N 12th Street
Lincoln, NE 68588-0314