What is a social media takeover?
A social media takeover is a designated day where an employer/campus partner “takes over” our Instagram stories and/or Facebook stories. Takeover partners share information about their culture, highlight staff members, showcase available jobs and internships, share resources, and give students a chance to ask questions and interact with content.
How it works:
Following your sign-up, Career Services will connect with you to confirm details and provide helpful takeover planning tips. If you do not receive a response within two weeks of sign up, please reach out to Amber Pape at email@example.com.
Sign-ups are first-come, first-serve. If the dates you select have already been taken, we will work to find an alternative date.
Takeover partners can choose to receive account access to post their own content or submit their content ahead of time and have Career Services post on their behalf. If possible, we suggest using direct account access as it allows partners to post live video and include interactive polls, Q&A, and other content that encourages follower interaction. If you choose account access, the day before your takeover you will receive an email with a personalized login to the Career Services account. If you have trouble with login, please email Amber at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 402-472-3145.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do introduce yourself and your organization in detail through pictures, text, and video in the stories. Don’t post to our regular Instagram and Facebook feeds.
- Do describe what you will do during your takeover and invite students to follow along. Don’t DM anyone through our account.
- Do post a variety of content to keep students engaged. Do not post content that is potentially offensive or which promotes unhealthy behavior or decisions (party behavior, nudity or sexual content, political content, hateful language, misinformation, etc.).
Career Services will monitor content as it is posted on our story and reserves the ability to remove any content deemed inappropriate under the guidelines given. If you are unsure of how to make an Instagram Story poll or question, scroll to the end of this document for some resources and links.
Important things to remember:
- Communicate with those in your office when this will be happening, and make sure that they are comfortable with possibly being included in these stories. We would like this to be a positive experience for both our students and your office.
- Please designate a single cell phone for your use if you choose to post with direct account access.
- Have fun while engaging with our followers.
We would love to see you promote the takeover on your own platforms! We can be tagged through these accounts:
- Instagram: @unl_careerservices
- Twitter: @UNLCareers
- Facebook: UNL Career Services
- Pinterest: UNL Career Services
Resources for your content development:
- UNL Career Services’ Instagram: Check out how others have done their takeovers in Career Service’s Instagram “Highlights” section.
- Learn how to make interactive Instagram polls for students to interact with through this link.
- Learn how to make Instagram story Q&A’s, and different ways to use them through this link.