With Pride in the Workplace coming up, we wanted to spotlight the amazing work of some of the companies attending. These efforts show that supporting LGBTQA+ employees goes beyond simple words, but requires specific and comprehensive policies that are intentionally inclusive. Let’s dive into the details!
Union Pacific (UP) has been a leader in inclusivity, and has demonstrated these advancements by adjusting and adopting new policies specifically to advance the rights and protections of our LGBT+ workforce. We also have a vibrant and unified Employee Resources Group (BRIDGES) where the members stand united as allies and members of the LGBT+ community. UP has also signed onto the Human Rights Campaign’s Business Coalition for the Equality Act and earned a 95/100 rating on the Corporate Equality Index, which is a rating index for LGBTQA+ workplace equality.
PayPal leads in LGBT+ inclusion through affirming policies like having a statement of nondiscrimination, inclusive partner benefits, gender inclusive restrooms, promoting a gender affirming dress code and supporting an LGBT+ employee resource group. PayPal also enacted other initiatives to support their employees, such as providing LGBTQ+ Family Building Benefits, including Adoption Assistance, Transgender Benefits, Surrogacy Assistance and Health Benefits Taxation that is inclusive of same-sex spouses and same-sex domestic partnerships. PayPal has also signed onto the Human Rights Campaign’s Business Coalition for the Equality Act and earned a 100/100 rating on the Corporate Equality Index.
Nebraska Medicine/University of Nebraska Medical Center
Nebraska Medicine/University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) promotes inclusion in many ways. In addition to having a statement of nondiscrimination, providing employee resource groups focused on LGBT+ inclusion, offering inclusive partner benefits, gender inclusive restrooms and inclusive dress code, Nebraska Medicine/UNMC provides intentionally inclusive initiatives to foster a sense of belonging to all, which contribute to Nebraska Medicine receiving a 100/100 on the Corporate Equality Index. For instance, Nebraska Medicine/UNMC supports:
- Annual celebration for National Coming Out Day in October
- Annual participation in Heartland Pride parade and festival
- Participation in the Human Rights Campaign Health Equality Index
- Proven commitment to inclusion and diversity with a Director of Inclusion at UNMC and a VP, Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer at Nebraska Medicine
- Brave Space conversations – sessions for all colleagues to participate in discussions on inclusion and diversity on campus
- Educational LGBTQ+ film review and discussion panels annually open to all colleagues
- LGBTQ+ educational videos and modules for all colleagues from the Nebraska Medicine Transgender Clinic
- Transgender inclusive Health insurance plans for Nebraska Medicine
- Openly LGBTQ+ colleagues serving in executive level leadership positions
- Ongoing research related to LGBTQ+ care and treatment
- Employee and Student Pride Alliance supported by UNMC’s Gender & Sexuality Resource Center
Conagra Brands scored 100/100 in the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index as well as having a statement of nondiscrimination, Employee Resource Groups that support LGBTQA+ employees, inclusive partner benefits and an identity affirming dress code. Conagra also promotes other initiatives to foster inclusion, like renaming Mother’s Room to Lactation Room to be inclusive of the various identities that breast/chest feed., regularly seeking out and engaging with change makers and influencers in the LGBTQ+ community, creating a PRIDE baking kit in 2021, and regularity partnering/volunteering with and making monetary donations to LGBTQ+ organizations, including Trans Lifeline, Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Equality Fund for Omaha, Brave Space Alliance, Center on Halsted, and others.